Coating Preparation & Data
Gentoo is a simple, transparent, one-coat multi-functional system that self-assembles to orient fluoro groups on the surface. The fluoro-functionalities are covalently bonded into the coating, imparting long-term hydrophobicity and watershed properties. Due to the low concentration of fluoro groups necessary to impart hydrophobicity, they do not interfere with adhesion to the substrate.
The silane-functionalities of this hybrid coating provide a mechanism for covalent bond formation between Gentoo and the metal substrate, resulting in superior adhesion to metallic, plated and painted surfaces. The organic portion of Gentoo imparts flexibility and durability to the coating system. These features combine to produce a highly durable coating with excellent water-shedding capability and abrasion resistance.
Key Attributes of the Hydrophobic Polymer/Inorganic Hybrid Surface Treatment
- Hydrophobicity and Watershed – Exhibits > 110° contact angle and <5° watershed angle.
- Corrosion Protection – Excellent water-shedding attributes, reducing corrosion, and extending the service lifetime of metal components.
- Flexibility and Abrasion Resistance – Exhibits excellent flexibility via a tough crosslinked polymer matrix and abrasion/wear resistance.
- Thickness and Weight – The surface treatment is extremely thin (1-5 µm) and lightweight.
- Adhesion – Robust adhesion to metallic substrates (aluminum, steel), glass, polymer (acrylic, polycarbonate), and paint (polyurethane, latex, acrylic).
- Environmental Durability – Excellent resistance to degradation resulting from salt spray and UV exposure.
- Ease of Application – Applied in a single coat using spray, flow or brush methods with minimal surface preparation.
The following table represents a summary of test data. Links to more detailed information and test data can be found throughout this website.
|Property||Test Method||Desired Response||Outcome|
|Pot life||ASTM D1200||4 h minimum||PASS; 6 h at 75°F|
|Storage Stability||MIL-PRF-32239, 85285;||6-12 months, 35-115°F; 100, 77, 40°F @ 3mo. ea.||PASS; 12 months|
|Hydrophobicity||Measurement||Contact Angle 105 + 3°; Watershed 10 + 2°||PASS|
|Flexibility||ASTM D522||No cracking||PASS ¼” mandrel; cracking on 1/8” with paint but no cracking on Gentoo only|
|Heat Resistance||ASTM D2244, D522, MIL-PRF-32239||ΔE<1.0, no cracking after 1h at 121.2°C||PASS; No change CA/WS, gloss or DE|
|Strippability||MIL-PRF-32239 with CeeBee A-235||Removal||PASS with Cee Bee A-235 stripper|
|Abrasion||ASTM D1044, D2486||ΔTransparency <5%|
(per 150 cycles)
|Adhesion||ASTM D 3359||5B on 6 h cured or mechanically abraded, full cured paint||PASS|
|Wet Tape Paint Adhesion||HSS Joint Test Protocol, ASTM D 3359||5B at RT, 49°C at 96h, and 65°C at 168h||PASS|
|FOD or Chip Resistance||ASTM D3170, corrosion evaluation TBD||Identical or better than control||PASS|
|Weather Resistance||ASTM G154 cycle 2 QUV-B, D4329||1000 h with Dgloss <20, DE < 1.0||PASS – better than control|
|Water Resistance||MIL-PRF-23377K||No effect||PASS|
|Chemical Resistance||MIL-PRF-32239, fuel JP-8||No/minimal effect & better than control||PASS – skydrol, degreaser, deicing, JP-8|
For the purposes of this report, Gentoo has been applied by flow, spray, or dip coating onto selected substrates – glass, polycarbonate, acrylic, silicone, Nitronic 50 stainless steel (UNS S20910), 2024-T3 (UNS A92024) and 7075-T6 (UNS A97075) aluminum alloys, anodized 7075-T6 aluminum, Alodine and other non-chromate surface modification treatments and 316 stainless steel (UNS S31600) screws and washers.
Treated substrates were air cured at ambient temperature or cured at 90°C for 15-60 minutes, depending on the application requirements. Coating thickness was measured at 4-6 μm depending on substrate and application method. Three specimens were used for each test and the data was averaged.